12 Apr Designer’s Secrets
Posted at 14:15h in Uncategorized
The task of designing a space can be very overwhelming. Many times people will view magazine or television shows to gain some perspective on how or what they would like to design an interior space. Below are some suggestions for anyone to use in designing their space:
- Don’t begin to redesign or design a room without a decorating plan. Tear out pictures from magazines and write down ideas you are drawn to when viewing other people’s homes.
- Don’t try to “hide” the bones of the room. Accent the architectural features of the room.
- Don’t be afraid of color-venture to use a beautiful smoke blue or terra-cotta to enrich the architectural detail of the room. Experiment with dark, dramatic colors.
- Collections are wonderful but don’t over collect small objects. Too many small items overwhelm a room. Do use them together in one area.
- Use an overcall object in a room like a table or bookcase to make a statement. An oversized painting can provide some views where none exist.
- Use window treatments to accent the view or room’s features. Window treatments make a terrific backdrop of color and offer the eye a place to rest.
- Do take risks in decorating and don’t have everything matching in the room. The more diverse the furnishings the more interesting the space. Try to choose sculptural pieces that will create an interest in a room.
- Use a common thread such as color, line or scale to pull all of the elements of a room together and make it feel cohesive.
- Ensure the rug you use in space anchors the room. Make sure the rug is to scale in the space you desire to use it in.
- Don’t forget comfort. Choose a fabric and style of the couch and/or chairs that you will be happy using the space you are designing.
After using these design strategies you should be able to create a crisp, classically inspired room that will maximize the impact of your interior space.